Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Green and Gold Day (Present)

Muff and Jack, my dear friends, have an expression: It was a Green and Gold day.
A Green and Gold day, is an intangible concept, something almost too beautiful to define, something magical, a special quality you struggle to express ...so you describe it in colours which say, princely, vibrant, gorgeous.
A Green and Gold day means something different for each person - it is in the eye of the beholder I guess!

Yesterday, was such a day. The sun shone, our house had 6 kids in it, all busy like little bees, Werner is on leave, and although I am working ... I caught some of the holiday spirit, coming down through the skype lines as the kids got onto skype to "chat" to me. (The magic of Internet!)


We discovered 6 blooming tulips in the garden. THAT is the green part! Tulips never come up again and bloom once they have had their initial season - not in South Africa anyway. It never gets cold enough in the winter, for the bulbs to "activate". (Ha - that is "programmer" language for plant stuff I don't understand). Would you guess I was the daughter of generations of flower growers?

So, I have been wondering when I planted these? Dad gave me these bulbs, and it was probably before he retired from HADECO, so how far back is that? 5-6 years maybe. I didn't even know these bulbs survived in the ground! Now there is great excitement in our house over these gorgeous flowers and I want to shout - Hey - it is Tulips from Florida!


Here is a photo of a rose, Werner took yesterday. The roses are all about to bloom. The garden looks gorgeous.

But, what made the day golden, was tea in the garden with Muff and Jack. We hadn't visited for ages, but yesterday we carried on as though no time had passed between our visits.

I sat and thought about it all, and realised... the people in my life, are what makes it "Golden".








1 comment:

  1. Nice to have these days! Green and gold makes me think about South African colours! :)

    ReplyDelete