Friday, September 25, 2009

Glimmers of hope

Slowly, the light was creeping back. There were things I could be grateful for : there was no longer someone complaining about washing, or about friends, or about the haircut I’d had, or the kids leaving their toys about, etc etc. (Oh boy - he sure did have a looooong list of complaints).
There is something I had not mentioned until now.
I had been suffering with chronic headaches for the past 4 years. These headaches were daily, extended, and needed medication. Dr’s and neurologists could not explain them. They turned into migraine, and on occasion Cluster headaches. Cluster headaches are to headaches what hurricanes are to the State of Florida (America) ! Ok, so I know that is a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture: total devastation, and no quality of life.

These drs would ask – are you under stress, and my answer would be – no – why? I am a housewife, the stress is just that which I get from driving 3 kids around.

I really believed that too. I could not see the tremendous pressure and stress the house was under due to the Prof’s expectations.

Well now that he was gone, I was allowing myself to relax bit by bit, and I could feel some of that stress draining away. (By the way - a peek into the future - the headaches are completely gone and have been for the past year.)

The kids were also realizing the stress relief. One morning , when he came to pick them up for school – as he was still doing, he complained with them for not picking up their stuff in the hallway. They were highly offended and told me about it in the afternoon. They had quickly got to the stage where they realized – it was no longer his business, and no longer his right to say anything about such things.

We would drive in the car and they would make comments like: O it is so nice to be able to listen to what WE want to listen to on the radio.

Of course there were some funny bits too - like when the Prof asked me for a list of my grievances. I still laugh about that. WHY did he want that? He hadn’t wanted to listen to them when he was still home, so why now? Was it so that he would not repeat the same mistakes with Cream Puff?
Along with the “list” he also promised to help me maintain the house. Sorry to sound old and jaded but let’s say it together – YEAH RIGHT! Is this the same house you have neglected for the last 5 years dearie? Isn’t Cream Puff going to be delighted to see you coming over here to fix up the house?! Pull the other chain mister – it has bells on it.

2 comments: