Tuesday, September 29, 2009

DIY Yvonne

Initially I felt pretty intimidated with the care of the house and garden. So much had been neglected for so many years – due to the Prof’s depression.

But when I really thought about it: I had been running the house and household myself for years, without really realizing it. I knew how the bore hole worked, knew how the electric fence operated, I knew when to order anthracite for the winter months, and how to water the garden via the computerized water system. The things I could not fix, I could pay someone to fix for me.

But one such a thing, I decided to try for myself. The garage has a side door, which has glass panes in it. For about 2 years, the bottom pane had been broken, causing a problem with our little Fox Terrior. He used to jump through that window, and then run out into the street. I had asked the Prof to fix this, on more than one occasion, and had resorted to sticking the window closed with masking tape and cardboard.

Now, looking at this door I felt tremendous irritation and then, there rose in me a determination about this problem. Surely I could put a new glass panel in there – how hard can it be?

I marched outside, measured up the window, and drove to the hardware store to buy glass and putty.

Once home, I was faced with the problem of the old glass and putty. Somehow I recalled a screwdriver and hammer featured into this part of the job. Out came hammer and screwdriver, and I started chipping away at this business. Being pretty unhandy with a hammer and screwdriver, it took me an hour and a half, and several cuts later before the window was cleaned out.

Then, armed with a teaspoon, putty and the new glass – I started on “this can’t be so hard job”.
The teaspoon you ask? Well, you need to flatten that putty somehow you know, don’t you use a teaspoon for that????????

That part of the job also took another hour and a half.
So – 3 hours later (yes – a ridiculous amount of time, I know), I had a window and a sense of accomplishment that far outstripped the actual accomplishment.

I only found out later that there exists such a thing as a putty knife, and that you DO NOT put putty into a window with a teaspoon.
O well, you live and learn, or in my case - you laugh and learn!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Your X has enabled you to be independent! Something to thank him for! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also tried it about a year ago, but I don't know what I did but I scewed up the measurements and the pane was too small! So my brother came to help and did it for me. I will try it again, it really can't beat me!

    ReplyDelete