Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Birthday Present (D day + 2)

After the weekend break and detour of the "present" post, let me remind you where we were.
It is February. The Prof would have moved out at the beginning of the weekend, but at number 99, he changed his mind. I take up the story after the weekend ... Monday Morning.
Monday morning was my birthday. I had never felt less like celebrating this day.
Mother-in-law phoned to wish me a happy birthday, not realising that this was to be the last time I ever spoke to her. We were on "so so terms". I was never at the top of her hit parade! I guess SHE didn’t think the sun shone out my b.tt as the Professor claimed everyone else did!

Mother-in-law did strange stuff: once, when the two youngest children had a school concert, she arrived. She was there 2 hours early. (Afraid to miss out on seating?) She and her husband sat in the front of the hall, and kept 1 seat. Now, WHO do you think the 1 seat was for? (Um – not me!) We needed 5 seats! My folks were also there. Needless to say – I sat elsewhere. I can’t remember where the Prof decided to sit in the end – distant memories – thank goodness!

The Prof's mum was only partially aware of the situation. She knew about the night The Prof left and went to “Bronkhorstspruit” – because he spent some time there before driving through to Bronkhorstspruit.
Later that morning, I was in the kitchen, making phone calls. I was cancelling counselor sessions which I had set up for the children. I had made these appointments in light of what I thought was going to have happened (i.e. the Prof's leaving the previous week). Now, with the new decision of the Prof to stay, I was cancelling these sessions.

Walking into the kitchen he overheard my phone calls . “Why are you cancelling those, are you sure I will still be here on Wednesday?”, he asked.

Quite dumbstruck I finally managed: I thought we had decided to give it another try?
“Well, errrr…. No not exactly” – he told me, “that is not quite what I meant”. I am still wondering what he did mean then.

Well, so be it.

Wow Hon, nice birthday present. He certainly swotted up on The Script.
His gift for timing is getting better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment