Monday, November 23, 2009

Marielle (Present)


Here are some photos we took of the girls on Sunday. Marielle had her farewell, and Marinda got dressed up for the fun.


Marielle keeps asking - am I on your blog yet? Then I shamefacedly shake my head and say "no".
Well, why not mom?
Ummm, because blog posts can't be forced - they just sort of happen.


Then she looks totally unconvinced and has decided her brother must be funnier than she is. In truth, she is an angle. She is the model child. Of the 3, when they are studying, she is the only one you don't see at all until the subject is done.



Every single night during exam time we have the same conversation, almost like a ritual:

Mom, I am scared I don't know the work for this exam.
But Marielle, you say that EVERY night.
I know - but this one I really don't know.
Well, then just do your best and pass.

Her pass is usually 90%.

On Sunday was her grade 7 Farewell party. I am feeling very sad in my heart for her. She is moving from a private English school, to a public Afrikaans school. Her friends are remaining behind to continue high school in the private school. (One of the stipulations of the divorce agreement is that the Prof pays only if they go to a public high school). This is not as bad as it sounds. The school she is going to is very excellent - and the change worked very well for Marinda.
Standing still to think about this change over, I remember mom crying when Joan and I went to high school. I remember a total incomprehension at this, from my 13 year old perspective:

What is your problem, mom.

Now I am there, and am tempted to cry too. Hey- what am I doing with 2 grown up kids already, who are in high school. Where did life go to?

7 comments:

  1. They are beautiful girls!
    It feels like just the other day they were babies. At ons stage you were worried Marielle was a bit too shy. But they told you there was nothing to worry about! Now she is a daughter to be proud of!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - that is so true. She managed to go to nursery school for 6 months without saying a word to the teacher!!!! They told us to leave it, she will outgrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have beautiful children and all their own unique personalities! Enjoy them. Wishing Marielle a wonderful time and lots of new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ronel. Yes, so very interesting to see their personalities coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marielle looks so beautiful! Transitions are hard, aren't they? Probably harder for us moms than for the kids I think. I know that "slipping through my fingers" feeling. I think every mom does!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Joan - that describes it perfectly - "slipping through my fingers"! I agree - transitions are harder for us than for them. We probably imagine it worse than it is. I think for e.g. that mom and dad had a worse time through the divorce than I did - because they imagined it as worse!

    ReplyDelete