Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I have a life you know


One of the other things the Prof nagged me about was wine glasses. He wanted them back – or at least a fair share of them.

I looked at all the wine glasses, and in a temper – packed the whole lot. Thought to myself – you have the whole jolly lot you know – drink yourself to death with them. The Prof did drink. Not what you would call an alcoholic – but certainly every night.

So, the wine glasses went to the Prof.

Some time after this – can’t remember how long, I began to think to myself… if people come here – for dinner say – then they will think I don’t have a life. I have not 1 bottle of wine to my name i.e. I have no life.

So, I took to buying a bottle of wine a month.
Now, what I know about wine is scary. I know what tastes nice and what doesn’t – but that is where it ends. The Prof took about 14 years to get me to drink red wine. When I finally discovered one I liked, it turned out to be a jolly expensive bottle of red wine – o please don’t ask me what – because I have no clue.

So, how do you buy good wine, when you know diddles about it? I stood and pondered this whilst standing in front of rows and rows of wine bottles in the shop. I finally decided that price must be a good indicator. With that in mind – I bought myself an “expensive” bottle of wine every month. I think I had 4 bottles of wine to my name, by the time I invited friends around for dinner.

By the way – this was the friend I went on the first “date” with. He had since got himself a girlfriend and they were coming round for dinner.

Somewhat chuffed with myself, I pointed out my bottles of wine and told him to pick one. That done, we went scouting around the house for a bottle opener. Oeps . Sort of forgot you need one of those to open the bottle.

When we finally found one, I suddenly remembered – o you idiot Yvonne, you have “no wine glasses”. You gave them all back remember!

Well, we poured the evidence of “I have a life you know”, into cold drink glasses. It tasted all the same as if it had been in the Prof’s fancy glasses… and boy did we laugh.
So – I had a life, just different to what the Prof might have measured it by!

4 comments:

  1. I sure hope we are not measuring whether we have a life with wine? Very funny, Yvonne! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha - by those standards I'd be dead then!!!! I think we have half a bottle of whiskey to our name, and not a single bottle of wine in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can think about a few wine incidents myself lol Very funny!

    ReplyDelete