Sunday, November 15, 2009

Being Sought After

I am friends with a very dear couple from my previous church. He used to be the deacon, and would come visit me every month. He had a fatherly attitude over me, and often helped me out when things were broken around the house. I am talking about the time before the Prof left.

These darlings, have a divorced son who lives in the Cape. One weekend he was up here visiting them, and I think they decided on the spot who would make him a good wife. So, late-ish one Friday evening, they phoned me asking if they could come over for coffee. No mention of the son!  The kids were at the Professor for that evening - so I was alone.

Once they arrived, son in tow, I realised what this was about . I remember feeling like wanting to sink into the ground. I was not dressed nicely, it was all so sudden and unexpected. What a gastly feeling : being  set up for “market”. It felt like I was being paraded. Strange thing is – you feel guilty - as though you had a part in their ploy.

He was a nice enough man – his biggest drawback being that he had the same name as the Prof! He looked about as uncomfortable as I felt.

The humorous part of me was still able to smile. I imagined myself outside this situation – looking in. I was able to take a huge complement from this – and thought something along the lines of: these friends looked at me – and saw potential. They had thought to themselves – if we don’t get them hooked up – someone else will snap her up!

So in that vein– I accepted their visit in good grace.

The next day, their son phoned and asked  me if I would come out with him and the family the following day – Sunday. I was completely taken aback. In my fluster I said yes.

Luckily – that day Jonathan and his family were visiting me.

They sat and talked things through with me. Why would such a person be in such a hurry.  I phoned back and very politely declined. To top it all, the children would be very freaked out by the potential of such a relationship.

Well that "decline" was the death knell to that little escapade! I never heard from them again (no, not the parents either).

I decided that THIS scene (being "set up" by friends), was just as yukkie as the singles scene. I said a "NO thank you" in my heart to this too.

1 comment:

  1. It is sad that you havent heard from the parents again! They felt rejected too! :)

    ReplyDelete