Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The concert (present)

A follow on from yesterday's post. L K 's comment made me realise I did not finish off the story. The guy who took my number at the horrible date - never did phone me back - thank goodness!! Then I got a huge giggle in me. The Prof now has my old cell number - some funny stories coming up about that - so imagine if weirdo phones the Prof - Ha ha.

Last night Marielle and Arno had their school concert. We all went off to watch - Werner included. He took his camera - he is an wonderful photographer (yes I am very biased!)
As the concert progressed, he would hop up, go to the front, take some photos and come back to sit down. He did this repeatedly throughout the concert.

As the concert finished, I was suddenly thunderstruck by this. The Prof has always hated these concerts with a passion. He sat through them - endured them, but made no secret of his distaste. Last year, we had bought him tickets and he "forgot" to arrive. He was meant to have brought the children home after the concert.

It broke my heart to know, that they searched each face in the audience, looking for him, and then stood outside the hall, with no way to get home. I got a few frantic phone calls from friends who saw the kids standing there, and Werner and I ended up picking them up - as well as trying to "mend" the broken pieces of their hearts.

I do know that each person makes mistakes, and I too have forgotten things - this was just a particularly bad one to have forgotten.

So, I sat last night and looked at this dear husband of mine, and my heart just overflowed with thankfulness. I told him - thank you so much for doing this - for hopping up and taking photos - just like all the other dads, and for being here with us, enjoying it so much. He looked at me and smiled: But of course, he said - these are OUR kids.

To think - there was a time that I thought: so who would want to take on a divorced woman with 3 children?

Thank you sweetheart - for taking us all on!

5 comments:

  1. I am soooo glad you got your sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you found your soulmate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - thanks girls - me too. I keep being amazed by it - and thankful. I keep thinking - wow - this time round is way better than first time round! I am actually quite cross for the 17 years of my life which the Prof got!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely! I also enjoy my new brother-in-law with his caring attitude way more than my old, grumpy one! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha - yes - I choose better this time around! I think he also enjoys his new in-laws way more.

    ReplyDelete