Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Goodwill

"Goodwill" is another chapter straight out of The Script. It says that you are responsible for keeping the goodwill between the parties.

Well, the Prof was picking up the kids for school every day, and he still had the remote for the gate, as well as the keys to the house. I had asked him not to enter the house, since it was now my territory. (Did I really think he would respect those boundaries?)

I changed the alarm on the house, and lo and behold: guess what we found sneaking in to the house while I was at work?!!!!!!!!.

Yes, one certain sneaky Professor.

O look, now you’ve ruined the friendship Yvonne!


He phoned me and demanded to know why I had changed the code.
Very sweetly, I told him, I don’t have the keys to your new house do I?
Oh– he offered, would you like them?

I ignored this ridiculous remark. It took a while to sink in, then he phoned me back to tell me that I am busy destroying his "goodwill." Yeah right – by the way – WHAT goodwill?

He decided he would show me his house when I was in a better “mood”. Well, I never did get to see his new house – so I guess I am still in a "mood".

In the mean time I would have to start taking more measures regarding access to the house. I changed the locks, and called the alarm company to change the master code. It had transpired that the Prof knew the master code, and I did not know how to reprogram it. (But - I do now!)

The Prof then began watching the children putting in the code to the alarm. He would refuse to stand away while they set the alarm. I was only just beginning to learn that he was a control freak. I had never really "noticed" it before.

Another thing which was running around in the background, were the divorce papers. Trying to get a settlement document through proved to be stressful and traumatic.

I had excellent advice and support from my brother in law. He pointed out things I must look out for etc. He helped me word and reword that document so many times over. He helped me to see things in a different perspective. Once again, my family was my saving grace. Thank you Roy, I would not be where I am today, if not for your crucial, to the point advice and backup.

One of the things people told me to watch out for, was not to feel sorry for the Prof. I had to get the best possible deal from the divorce, because these things are difficult and expensive to change afterward. So, that all was messy and unpleasant.

Divorce does not tear 2 people neatly along a perforated line. It is like taking a sheet of paper and tearing it. It will not tear straight.

2 comments:

  1. Divorce is never easy! Glad you could put it behind you, and that you could do it so neatly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prof's behaviour that you described in the last few days is all a denial of responsibility - constantly looking to blame you, his upbringing, etc. Your comparison of divorce being like paper tearing unevenly is so good! J

    ReplyDelete