Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Foot Woes

So, turns out that hiking the Fish River with just about brand new boots, is a bad idea!!! I had only pulled out my old hiking boots about a month before the hike, and discovered to my huge dismay that they were worn through… done for.


I went off and bought new ones. While walking around the shopping centre, with some “hiking purchases”, I had run into the Prof. What are the chances! He tried to peer around me to see what I had in my packet, and I, like a petulant child, just hid it away more so he could not see!!! This was none of his business. Of course he went to ask the children what I was up to.

Even though I had tried to walk the boots in before the hike– a few weeks is just not enough. My feet blistered so badly that there was not a single toe which did not need bandaging. On day 2 – when my feet where still intact, I bumped a baby toe so badly that the toe had no skin left. There is nothing for it – you have to walk.

My friends from work still joke and say I had such an easy time – I floated through the canyon. In a manner of speaking I did… on pain killers!

After a while, the hiking friends got smart. When I stopped talking, they gave me more pain killers – they knew the pain killers had worn off ! I think I drank more painkillers than I ate food. I popped pain killers the way Jelly Tot Man popped Jelly Tots!

The doctor booked me off work for 2 days when I got back, and for a week I could not put any shoes on my feet. Believe it or not – my feet recovered!


BUT - Walking the Fish River Canyon was one of the best therapies I could have done. Being out there in the wilderness gave space to clear my head. I came back with a soul restored, with new vision and a new way of thinking. My plans of grandeur – had been grand indeed. Best of all – I did it without the Prof. So, another sign of independence.

It might sound funny to say it now, but it was a big achievement. Marriage is like a garment which you wear, it is an identity. Divorce tears that identity away – and takes a piece of your soul with it. I needed to learn to function on my own. I needed a new “garment” . I didn’t much like the “divorce” identity either… so all these processes where part of building a new me – a new identity. I was learning to be an Yvonne apart from the Prof… I was learning whom God had intended I should have become.

4 comments:

  1. I am sure you enjoy the new Yvonne much more? It is very difficult to go through the change, but in the end you can only look back and say it was for the greater good of you!
    Well done, Yvonne, for doing the hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the lesson that you just had to keep walking through the pain. It's a good metaphor for life, where you just have to take one step at a time through the hard times and push through the pain. Reminds me a bit of Joyce Meyer's expression: DO IT AFRAID. This could be your expression: DO IT WITH BLISTERS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not imagine, or prentend that I know what it must be like to get divorced. But I am glad that you are adapting so well. You are a good example for many woman in the same boat as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen - o yes, I like the new me so much better. I can laugh and sing again. Joan - love that - do it with blisters - ha ha. LK I am thankful that you don't know about divorce. So much better for your little one too. Thank you for reading and encouraging me on!

    ReplyDelete