Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Goodly Dose of Reality

The day I decided to go for HIV AIDS testing, I actually shocked myself. I had not really given this aspect much thought. But, I suddenly stood still and did some hard thinking. It was like having a bucket of ice poured over you. Your mind cannot even begin to comprehend the effects of a positive outcome.

Did I believe the Prof , when he said he had a chaste relationship with Cream Puff .... duh – NO.
Well then, you have better get yourself tested, Yvonne.

My GP, just looked at me. After a moment's thought he said – I am glad you came to this realization yourself. I wanted to tell you to have it done, but it is better that you realized this for yourself.

He sent me off to the labs. It would take a few days to get the results. If the results were negative, I was to bring myself back in 6 weeks time, to have them repeated again - window period.

I was still on the Prof’s medical aid scheme, so not long after the 1st set of tests, he phoned me up FUMING mad and spitting volcano fire. He had seen on his medical aid bill that I had been for the tests.
There is not a bl…y chance in hell. IF you have AID’s we will have to find out where YOU got it, he shouted, slamming down the phone.
I started laughing. That reaction really tickled my funny bone. I must admit, THAT was a lot of fun. As with so many things in my life - the light side to a shadow story.

The results were negative, as well as the subsequent set of tests.

But, to me...No proof of the Prof’s innocence.


2 comments:

  1. I had to also go for one about three years ago for insurance purposes. I knew it would be negative but I also found it scary! I think because Aids is such a terrible disease

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always very scary! And shame on him to have put you through it!

    ReplyDelete