Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Professor Upgrade (Present-ish)

Especially for you Denise! An extra long post to make up for yesterday!

Thank you to you all for all the loyal support and encouragement to write! I never dreamed this would be so much fun. It is such a compliment to hear that readers are waiting for the next post and are disappointed when I miss a day! Sorry!!!!

I have only been posting 4 post in the last few weeks, all for different reasons. I had a dear school friend visiting from Australia, and so, I took off the first Friday! (No posting).

Last week, Werner and I were photographing a wedding of friends. I took Friday off to go help her. Don't get me started on Garmin. I have long had the joke that Garmin is my Professor "upgrade", because she tells me where to go, and when I am tired of her, I switch her off. That is way better than a cranky husband don't you agree?

Well I needed to go to Pretorius Street in Lyttleton. Garmin did not know where that was (yeah - I had not updated her). Turns out that Garmins do need some attention after all. BUT... Garmin did know where Pretorius street was in Pretoria. Well, that is all the same direction isn't it? How many Pretoriuses Streets can there be in 1 city! So - killer logic of programmer has decided that that sounded pretty right to me. Off I went, full of confidence (on my 2nd Friday off).

Well, somewhere around the time where Garmin took me past the Prison, I began to chew my lip and wonder if perhaps Pretoria had more than 1 Pretorius Street. When I was turning up and down streets in the CBD I was sure I had it wrong. Out comes cell phone. Checking around for cops - last thing I need now is a fine for this, but hey - I am in a fix. Except for garmin, I wouldn't even know how to get home.

My friend is buying flowers at the market, for the wedding. She says I am not in Lyttleton at all, but more than that she can't really pay attention to right now. Mean time I am driving around and around the same block. Don't really know where to drive to now.

I phone Werner. He goes like so: Lyttleton, er Lyttleton.... yes, that sounds familiar, now why does that sound so familiar....O yes - I think that is in the direction my parents stay in.

WHAT ?????????????

He has been married to me for a year. Does he not know yet that I don't even know the direction my own house is in, never mind that of my in-laws!!!!!!!!!!

In fact - I have been a master disguiser of all things embarrassing - like the little detail that "left" and "right" are abstract concepts for me. If my watch and ring are not on - then I am "offline" regarding what is left and what is right. (Let's hope he skips this blog!)

I put down the phone, pick a direction and drive. That took me back past the prison. O good, that sounds like it is direction homeward. Now, who can help me here.... AH LYNETTE.
She is a darling friend from work, she stays in Pretoria, and she knows all sorts of stuff. (I can't even begin to define stuff - but Lynette knows it all!)

Lynette...HELP. I am somewhere in Pretoria, and I need to be somewhere ELSE in Pretoria. What a honey... she looked it all up on the Internet, she talked me through from the 1 somewhere to the other somewhere, and I got there in 1 piece. Shooo... big relief.

Now I have been doing some thinking about this Garmin business. You see, after the prof, I said - who needs a husband when you have a Garmin... but now... I am saying: who needs a Garmin when you have Lynette. I can't exactly switch her off, but Lynette needs no upgrading. Sounds good to me. She is now the new Garmin.

That accounts for my second Friday.
This weekend, other than taking the wedding photos, got me started on creating a website for Werner and his photography . If you want to take a peek at his photos they are there somewhere under the wedding link!

But, by now, I can hear you asking - so what kind of programmer ARE you, if you have never designed and made a web page? (An oldish one!!!!) I was taught programming way back when, and not taught about Internet and anything webby. I had to learn the rest myself. Just in my defence - I am an SQL programmer (ha ha - some technical stuff just so you can see I can do that too) and I work on things tax related-ish.

So, we are now into this week and the point I am trying to get to. 2 things have happened. Problogger says I must invite participation, and the 2nd is my aunt was visiting from Holland. She read one or 2 blog pieces and said I sounded "bitter. "

I took yesterday off to give this a good think. Last thing on earth I am is bitter, and I would be failing in my effort to help other people with my writing, if I do sound bitter.

Ha -so, I wanted to ask you for your comments. Do I sound bitter? Is there anything you would like to know more or less of? How can I improve?

I know commenting is difficult in terms of - you have to create an account with google in order to do so. But I would LOVE some feedback. Something else - is there anyone reading who doesn't know the ending to this story? OH I really do hope so!

7 comments:

  1. I still want a Garmin :) No, you are not bitter. It is the best to see the humour in everything, which you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen. Generally the Garmins are fabulous. The only time you must not trust her is if she didn't find the street in the area you told her to look. If you go outside of those boundaries - you are on your own it seems. Lucky for my "Lynette" backup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The UK work on post codes and the sat nav find the post code! It's brilliant.

    Honestly between the lines I read the bitterness too, but this blog is the best therapy getting all those feelings out and healing can go on...... Your life was turned upside then and nothing was like you planned or wished it anymore..... a big trauma to work through.

    Your posts about your present life is happy and one can feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the 'bitterness' comes through, it is so because of the feeling AT THE TIME. Some things are taken straight from your diary and no wonder that may sound 'bitter, because that is how you felt at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW you are not bitter but sometimes the humour (with touches of sarcasm) might sound a bit like it. But don't let that stop you from writing because a) it's fun to read (sorry, Prof!) and b) I believe the humour can be a powerful tool for somebody just going through it.
    Sure, most of us know the end, but...see points a and b above. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2nd comment: How can people let you know they do not know the 'ending' of the story. They might think, to be remarried is the conclusion. WE know. But people who don't, will not be able to tell you....Oh, this is confusing. People who DO know might give it away in their comments!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi all, well thank you so much for the active participation. Ronel, thank you for your honest answer and for reading. I guess it is hard not to be cross and bitter and angry about being "dropped". I am lucky that my life turned around, making it much easier to look back and think - it turned out for the best. Mom, yes you are right, people will just think the ending is to be remarried. Aren't they in for some nice surprises though.

    ReplyDelete