Monday, October 19, 2009

Lofty walking plans

I had a tremendous urge to do something extraordinary. Maybe it was the idea of “team building” with the children, or something to make my life worthwhile, when someone else had declared it “unworthy” and not good enough. Maybe it was to feel some kind of grandeur – to make it count. I can’t define the feeling really, I just remember it was there.

I had some mad ideas like: the kids and I taking a year off life and walking around the coast line, riding bicycles from here to Cape Town on all the round about off routes – or something of that nature. (Smile!)

Well, along those lines, but nowhere near my “lofty walking” plans, we set off for the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens. Yes – VERY tame in comparison to my ideas of grandeur!

I was aware of a hiking trail going up beside the water fall, but had never walked it completely. We set off with great gusto, but not a lot of preparation. I think we had 1 bottle of water between us, and that was it. Once we reached the top, I became aware of the idea that we were at a cross roads, decision wise. We didn’t know how far it was to walk, how long it would take, if we would need water along the route and above all, it was pretty late in the afternoon. A vague feeling of unease settled over me. Did I have to make this decision, alone?

Wake up and smell some roses Yvonne, do you see anyone else?
Heck no, except for the kids. Guess I had better decide then.

Ok, we can do this… and off we went. As I walked, God spoke to my heart. “You really can do this you know. You can take leadership, make decisions, you can be whole, though you are a single parent.” A huge peace settled over me. God said it, that settles it – I was now the head of this little unit.

We reached the top of the mountain and were rewarded with a beautiful view. I, of course, tried to imagine what this must have looked like 100 years ago – with lions and animals walking around, with no house in sight! But that is just me. The children seemed to get the same sense of peace and well being that I had. We felt proud of our achievement, small though it was. And, it did cement a sense of “team” into our family unit.

Click this link to see some more photos of that day.

At a later date, I took my sister and her family along the same walk. Roy said to me – they measure your “balance” in life by how much time you spend in this kind of recreational activity. Well, I was getting balance back!

That day, happy and tired, we turned homeward. We had not walked the coasts of South Africa, but we might as well have, for our sense of achievement.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your blog today! Maybe coz it's set in one of my most favourite places and also where I often get a sense of God. But also because it's a real defining moment in your healing. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right. The realisation that you can be a single parent and still be a whole family - even though the world does not see it that way. Also, the realisation that I was now "head" of the family unit - a change in status for me!

    ReplyDelete