Thursday, August 13, 2009

Insider Trading (present)


Well, I've decided it is hard to catch up all the history and then tell you all my fun stories later on, when they have become dull and part of history too. So, I am going to add the bits and pieces in as they come up. I will show these present tense pieces by adding PRESENT to the title.

Last week I was trying to help Arno (youngest son -11) to study clouds. By the end of the week we were both sick of it. I searched on the Internet and found some nice diagrams showing pictures of the different clouds as well as the height at which they occur. This helped a bit. But the break through came when I taught him the meaning of the words for e.g. Cirrus means "wisp of hair", cumulus means "heaps" etc.

The teacher who gives him this subject, also comes to our home to give him guitar lessons. Great was our excitement when she told us that he had the highest mark in the class- he had 70%.
WOW.

About a day after this news, Arno arrives home to inform me that he had made a very "safe" bet with his best friend Kevin. He had bet Kevin that he (Arno), had got the highest mark in the class!!!!

Trying hard not to laugh, I seriously informed him that he needs to reverse that bet, since he had "insider trading information".

We pretty much left it at that, but yesterday this conversation started up AGAIN. Only this time - the bet had escalated from R5 to R10. The difference? - well this time Arno had told Kevin that he was the possessor of privileged info via guitar lessons. Somehow Kevin didn't understand / missed this crucial information. Arno figured it was now OK to take that money from him - he had told Kevin the truth .... not his problem if Kevin doesn't listen!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Not sure how this works. For the sister of a computer programmer I'm really pathetic when it comes to computers! I tried to become one of your followers, but still don't see my picture up next to Karen's (I think that's her?), maybe I have to go out and come back in again. Who knows. You programmers really need to simplify these things for us normal folks. Anyway just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading about Arno's illicit insider trading gains. Now I'll be a bit more up to date with your life! Ciao, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha. Thanks dear sister. I tried to become a follower of Karen's site with same result as you. Difference is - I am supposed to know these things! Caio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.I didn't know how it worked either. For the Mom of a computer programmer, I am also pathetic,(she is always there to help me) but I persevered till I got it right!
    Managed to get the picture of me and Dad in 'cropped'! Now it is your turn Joan! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. somehow the timeline in the comments is not right??

    ReplyDelete