Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Insider Trading - Part 2

Mo ooo m - a long drawn out "mom" sound - like a sigh. This is Arno of course, getting into the car this afternoon. My heart sinks as I think - mmm what NOW.

"Well, mom, today I like talked to Kevin about the bet - AGAIN hey. You know, I like explained it to him, in different language, because I thought maybe he didn't like understand it ..hey."

I'm listening to this in silence, wondering LIKE if I can tell him to stop with the "LIKE" and the "HEY" business. I decide the grammar lesson had better wait... there is a moral lesson coming right up in the next 10 seconds or so. Too many lessons in one go, when I am clearly having a hard time with this one...

He continues: Well, Kevin listened to the whole story hey, and then he was quiet for a while. So I thought like - he understood me. Then Kevin says to me - "ok I get it- let's sweeten the deal and make it R21"!!

I start to feel this giggle starting way down, and know I am losing this fight. The thoughts are coming fast and furious into my head, don't know which one to pay attention to first. Driving becomes just one task too many. It is sounding something like this:

  • Not a full box of chocolates
  • "sweeten the deal"????
  • calculations as to the growth of this bet (if only add earnings on blogs would escalate at rates like this bet)
  • and finally - why the R1 at the end of R20? I can "get" the R5, R10 and even R20 - but what made Kevin say twenty ONE rand in particular?

I catch myself and try to compose my face into the moral objection face I had intended to put on originally. Arno looks at me and we both start laughing.

"M o oom", he tries again, "I don't get it. I really told him. "

So how did you tell him - I ask.
"I told him that the teacher comes to our house and gives us guitar lessons, and that she told me my mark right after we had written the test. "
Sounds logical to me. "I know he LISTENS to me other times"!

Really? Now how do you know that, I ask.

"Easy, I like tested him".

I am almost too scared to ask - o now how did you do that?

"I told him that I packed 6 provitas , 2 tennis biscuits and chocolate sticks for lunch. Then later I like went , so ... I packed 6 provitas, chocolate sticks and .....", Arno lets his voice trail into silence, then puts on his "Kevin" voice and completes the thought - "2 tennis biscuits" .

"Now how did he know that if he didn't listen? "

I am still trying to think about the details of that lunch (the lecture I should give him), and decide to give this one up.

Upon hearing their test marks, Kevin had said - I guess I owe you R21 then.

The "jury" in our car (the girls) voted unanimously in favour of the defendant. They decided that perhaps Kevin deserves to "pay up".

4 comments:

  1. Hi. You know me and computers, don't switch it on too often, so I had to catch up on your blogs going back about 3 days. So now I will have to do a combined comment on all of them. Firstly, the daffodil genes must only get passed on to the oldest child in the family! Secondly, I hope the Prof doesn't get wind of 2412Towers! Thirdly, I agree with the jury - Arno has done all that is legally required of him and can spend his R20 and 1 rand with a clear conscience! And finally, that cute "Yvonneness" is coming through loud and clear - keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that idea of - let's hope the Prof doesn't find out - has certainly occured to me. I think if I start getting snide comments - I'll know!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to think of it, some sarky comments from the Prof could definitely do wonders for your readership - people love that kind of tension and drama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha - shall I Send him the link?

    ReplyDelete