Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Question

If ever I was concerned that the children would not accept Werner – I was worrying for nothing. Werner had said to me – that day we jokingly set up the wedding date – to leave them be- they would “come on board” in their own time.


By December 2007 (a mere 1 year from when the nonsense began), the kids were asking Werner quite openly: So… are you going to ask our mom to marry you?

How that change of heart came about – I don’t know. As I’ve said before – he grew on all of us!

But – in Dec 2007, Werner’s divorce had not come through yet. So his standard answer was – "no I can’t do that – I am still a married man."


Eventually, it was to be through Marielle that we were to hear that Werner’s divorce had gone through. There had been several times back and forth with the lawyers, settlements etc. A very stressful time. We didn’t want the Prof and Cream Puff to know any details of our relationship – in case they used it as leverage against us. As it was – they remained blissfully unaware.

So – one evening, at the end of March 2008, Marielle phoned us from her dad’s house with the famous words- "I believe Werner is divorced now."

Well, that was good news for us!

Now, the question the children asked, changed and became more demanding:
So Werner – WHEN are you going to ask our mom to marry you?

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful that it came from the children! Very heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete