Sunday, April 18, 2010

My father’s, girlfriend’s X-husband

Werner didn’t ask me to marry him on that first night we heard the news of his divorce. He took me out for dinner, 2 days after his birthday, and asked me quite unexpectedly while we were sitting in our favourite pub restaurant.

So, will you marry me? I sort of didn’t get it- same way as I was with the flowers. I thought he was talking about – when he one day asked me to marry him. So he had to repeat the question.
When I finally GOT it – I bubbled out – YES, Yes, yes… just in case he changed his mind before I said YES.

So, our "joking" wedding date, became a set one.

A few days after this, Arno told his class – as some of his “news” – that his mom was getting remarried.
Oh? Who is she marrying – they all wanted to know.
Thinking for a moment, he came up with this smart answer: My father’s, girlfriend’s X-husband.

Hello… they could not put those pieces together. Arno must be fibbing. So… teacher was waiting me in that afternoon as I very drove in to pick him up.

Is it true – you are marrying his father’s, girlfriend’s X husband?
Mmmm – wonder how much practice that one took the teacher to say.
And here I started to learn the fun in telling people who it was I was marrying. There is a jaw dropping moment of disbelieve, you see the wheels turning in the heads and finally the idea of: how did you manage THAT!

3 comments:

  1. Funny! LOL
    But still a very heartwarming story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! It even makes my day occasionally when I get to tell people who my new brother-in-law is! J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yvonne, I nominated you for two awards on my blog: The sunshine award, AND Life is Good award. Come and grab it!

    ReplyDelete