Monday, February 1, 2010

Mud houses


I am literally talking about a mud house!!

My dear missionary friend Jonathan, whom I had met doing the Fish river Canyon hike - taught the children how to make a mud house. Since the Fish River canyon, his family and mine had become family friends. During those days, he brought his family over to play games and talk. They brought a sense of normality back into our lives.

Look at the mud house he built with the children.

That house stood in our garden for about 9 months – with grass shooting up around it. It symbolized happiness and healing, and gave the children a vision. Even the gardener worked all around the house, so as not to break it. It withstood wind and rain quite remarkably well. Eventually, we leveled it and turned that whole area into a lovely vegetable garden.

I often think of Jonathan's family as a splint, which God moved along side of my broken family, to strengthen us in a time where we needed to heal. Jonathan’s wife was here when the Prof made harassing phone calls and scared the living daylights out of me, they listened to my heart ache, they gave advice, and became wonderful role models for the children. They showed us how a family was supposed to function, with love and boundaries.

We had a few such precious visits before their time was up in South Africa. They are now involved in missionary work in Malaysia.

We miss you dear friends. I know your family prays for mine, as we do for yours.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome the friends that God sends over our paths in the seasons we need them most! Friends to treasure that stood by you in the winter season of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your image of a stint - very powerful. Reminds me of that saying "friends come in to our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime." Yet each one is a precious gift from God!

    ReplyDelete