Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Drakensberg


After the success of the Fish River Canyon hike, I went with the same group of hiking friends, for a family camp-out in the Drakensberg. I went with the children, the tent my X-Mother-in-law had given to us as a gift, once upon a time when I was still “in grace”, and the kids bicycles. (Did I mention one of the biggest advantages of divorce - X mother-in-laws! Mmm)


Well, this posed a little problem for me. The trailer had a bicycle rack mounted on the top, but I had no idea how to dismantle the bikes, and then mount them on top of the whole affair.

I enlisted Werner’s willing help. The kids had seen him around on the odd occasion, but still viewed him with extreme suspicion, so much so that I asked them to simply be polite to him.

Well, since he was willing to help with the bikes, and see us on our way to the Drakensberg – the kids decided to put aside their nasty looks, and put up with him.

Werner, is not one to take offence. He took the kids and their reaction, in his stride. It makes him a comfortable and easy person to get along with. He neatly took off bicycle tyres, put the bikes on the trailer rack and even helped us pack the trailer.

Then armed with my Prof Upgrade (Garmin), off we went. That all worked like a charm, and once we arrived in the Berg, there were more than enough willing hands to take the bikes down again. We put up the tent – once more with more of those willing and knowledgeable hands. We proceeded to have a wonderful weekend.

Werner and I were at that stage good friends, smsing each other on and off.
Ha – I only heard much much later, that he spent that weekend worrying himself silly, as to how I was progressing, and if I needed help. After all, I had never ever attempted anything of this sort alone before.

Help? ....Nope – had plenty of that. At the end of that weekend, the guys loaded up the bikes, tightened all the turning things with their strength – not taking into consideration that I would not have the same strength to undo the whole lot.

We left again, all in tact and loaded up, and Garmin to show us the way home. Easy peasy...or so I thought.

The stage was set for WHISKEY...tomorrow!
Footnote: Guess who wanted the tent back after our successful camp out... and the trailer. Well to be fair, the Prof said he would share the trailer with me.... but hey - who wants that hassle. Gave it all back to him. The trailer is being used, but I am sure he lost the tent in his garage along with all the other stuff he wanted back. (The garage is a mess - his - not mine! 2 Cars worth of parking - and it is all packed with stuff from his previous life - stuff he HAD to have back!)



Here the kids are with my missionary friend Jonathan.

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha - ex-mother-in-law does have a good ring!
    I love the way you just picked up the pieces of your life and went out and had fun! Inspirational! So cute that Werner was worried about you guys (at a time when the Prof wasn't giving it a single thought!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Nice to be abe to do the things for yourself! Very empowering!

    ReplyDelete