Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas time Reflections (Present Tense)

Today, I am going on leave. Yah! We are not going away - we are fixing up the house. I will post some photos of our progress.

I was just looking back over the last few years in amazement.

Going back 3 years puts me smack in the middle of deep trouble and turmoil. The Prof had done his midnight ride to Witbank thingie, and was about to break the dreadful news of his imminent departure on Christmas Eve.

2 Years ago, I was friends with Werner, and spending Christmas time with him and his family. Quite a nice thought - neither he nor I ever spent a Christmas alone.

Last year, we were newly married, spending Christmas with the children at my sister's place.

This year: Christmas day is 1 day late - because all the children are with the Prof and Cream Puff - out on the farm in Witbank. We get them back on the 26th, so we have delayed our Christmas day celebrations to the 26th.

Christmas days used to be stressful affairs, with lots of family politics. Now they are a sweet gathering of my dearest family, and the only stress is : what dishes do we prepare for the meal. Wow - blessings indeed.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you dear reader, for sharing this journey with me. For the encouragement, for clever and insightful comments, for the keen interest and anticipation with which some friends await the next post! It has kept me writing, and challenged me to dig deeper within myself.

Mom, thank you for the beautiful translation work for our Dutch family, for the proof reading and for endlessly fixing up my WHERE and WERE mistakes!

I will do some post of photos, but continue with the story line in January. Wishing you all a very wonderful Christmas season.

5 comments:

  1. Wishing you a very blessed Christmas too and looking forward to more blog posts in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Had a lot of catching up to do on your blogs (all of Dec). I actually enjoyed reading Werner's side in one sitting. It made me realise just how much compassion and love you feel for him - it comes across in the stories. Looking forward to our Christmas together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ronel, I hope you have a very blessed Christmas too with your family in SA. Hope your planes fly!!! O Joan - I am so glad that came across. I wondered if it did! Can't wait for Christmas - for the first time in many years - no stress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for the photo's. Blessed time for you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen. For you and your family too. Posted some photos for you!

    ReplyDelete