Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More than just friendship


Werner and I were spending considerable time chatting on the phone at night. We had moved past the “gossip” aspect of our friendship – where we tried to fit pieces of the puzzle together… to a friendship that consisted of more interesting conversation.


He surprised and shocked me quite some, when he announced one day out of the blue – Actually Yvonne, I think this is more than friendship.

THIS freaked me out. Divorce Care says – it takes 5 years (not within 1 year). How does one deal with this? Sure, I would perhaps like to start over with someone one day…but this was way too soon. The kids were freaked by this friendship, how does one learn to trust again? He said I made him happy – but Divorce Care taught – you need to first be happy on your own BEFORE you can be happy with someone else.

All these ideas went through my head. I told him he had better come over so that we could chat.

I very nearly told him that night, that I thought it was a bad idea and that we should no longer see each other at all. But as we talked, a calm came over me. I really read him the riot act. Told him – you have to be a happy person on your own, this will have to go way slowly etc. I think I put up more boundaries than my property has surrounding it!

My eventual thought surrounding that evening was this:
I could live life in fear - Fear of being hurt again, fear of taking chances, fear of betrayal… or I could live life – even if it meant making some mistakes.

The bible says : I did not create you with a spirit of fear.

We live but once… do so bravely… do it without fear.

So – with all these thoughts in mind , I said – yes – I think this is more than friendship.

And there started our very unlikely romance. It was a "thought out thing", before a heart thing! Sounds strange to say so now, because now I am in it with all my heart... and his!

1 comment:

  1. An unlikely romance, but we are so glad for you i w :Dorked!

    ReplyDelete